Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Istanbul and Turkey's History Rocks

Merhaba, World.

As some may know, I am spending this semester studying in Istanbul, Turkey.  I have looked forward to this for a long time and I am so happy, fortunate, and thankful to finally be living this dream.  So far, this has been an incredible experience, including great friends, visits to museums, and drinking a whole lot of çay.  I'm looking forward to learning more about the city, culture, and country throughout my stay here.


Friends of mine certainly know that I am obsessed with history.  History is my major, has always been my favorite subject in school, and there is nothing I love more than talking about it.  For a study abroad experience, I wanted to come to a place that had a rich history.  I have been reading and learning about certain people, events, and places for years, so I figured it was time to finally see where such important events that shaped the world we live in took place. 


Out of all the places in the world, I think Istanbul has the most unique history out there.  Sandwiching the Bosphorus, with the Black Sea to the North and Sea of Marmara to the South, it was home to two great but incredibly different civilizations spanning hundreds of years:  the Byzantine Empire and the Ottoman Empire.  With that, it was the center of both Islam and Christianity at different times in history.  Additionally, its location has had such an amazing impact on the world, from its tenure as capital of the Byzantine Empire (back then called Constantinople) to its strategic importance during World War I.  It also served as the midpoint for traders on the Silk Road moving between the West and East.  

Many describe the city as a “cultural kaleidoscope” because so many different people from all over the world live here.  It has endured so many different languages, cultures, and confrontations that make it such a unique and special place to be. 


^^Right between Europe and Asia.  Location of critical importance!


This history is not like any other.  It experienced the Greeks, the Romans, the Muslim world, and naturally the modern, secular world.  The city itself spans two continents, standing as the link between Europe and Asia.  Because its place in the world is unlike any other, and the history is not only interesting and diverse but also very much alive, I decided to make this beautiful city my place of study for the semester.  I love this history, and I’m thankful for the opportunity to touch the same ground as incredible and influential historical figures going back centuries:  Constantine, Justinian, Mehmed the Conqueror, Suleiman the Magnificent, and Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, among a myriad of others. 

Turkey itself has an amazing history.  It’s the virtual center of the world and contains various fragments of history.  Turkey is where Noah’s Ark supposedly landed.  The Trojan War, made famous by Homer, took place on her lands.  The Virgin Mary herself lived here after Christ’s death.  St. John the Evangelist is buried in Turkey as well.  Despite being predominantly Muslim, it has functioned as a secular republic since 1923.  Not to mention, many important items are found here, from some of the Prophet Mohammad’s possessions to the very staff used by Moses (dated 1300 BC!). 




Throughout my time here, I have had the privilege of visiting a variety of museums and sites with amazing historical significance.  I am using this blog as a means of sharing the wonders this city and nation have to offer and explaining the history behind the places I encounter.  This history is absolutely fascinating, and as a history buff who loves rambling and talking about it, I would love to share some of this fine land’s stories and sites with people, as well as spread awareness about how awesome this place really is in any epoch:  past, present, and future.  I'll be throwing in some pictures, personal stories, and of course historical narratives about what I consider to be the most unique history out there.  From Byzantine to Ottoman, I hope this place's history excites you as much as it does me.

Hope you enjoy!


-Garrett Garcia

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Garrett. Can't wait to hear about your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete